Friday, February 18, 2005

The new BMW M5

I viewed the new unreleased ( IN USA ) BMW M5 3 days ago. It has a 5.0 liter v10 with 507 HP, and a 7 speed SMG transmission. The gentleman driving the vehicle was lucky enough to have a contract with BMW USA to test all of the new models before release to the public. There were two cars in the convoy. One was an undercover car which has been floating around for a while, and the other that particularly interested me, was a Interlagos Blue USA spec finished vehicle. The interior was magnificent and the wood trim and dash was particularly nice. The engine sounded brilliant, somewhat like a muffled F1 engine, and the cross drilled brake disc's and spectacular wheels really make the car.
I asked the driver if he could do a wee launch for us up the street. He thought for a second and then agreed. To launch a BMW with an SMG transmission, you need to turn the DSC ( traction ) off and turn the shift points to position 6. When you do that the computer allows you to rev the engine up before dropping the clutch therefore creating a "Launch". Well it was a beautiful site to see this powerful unreleased vehicle take off sideways up the street for my viewing pleasure.
I truly beleive that the new M5 will be the benchmark in 4 door sedans for some time to come. I want one and I want one NOW. I cant wait to drive one. Roll on November.

No comments: