Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Empire State Building

After I went to Ground Zero, I decided that it was time to scare myself and ascend the Empire State Building.

I am not a particularly excitable person when it comes to being up the top of any tall buildings. Riaz can vouch for that after we went up the Space Needle in Seattle and I had to crawl to the bar on my hands and knees when the building swayed. After I got over the embarassment, I must say, that it was one of the best JD and cokes I have ever had to this day.

Anyways, after 9 years I decided it was time to do it again, but this time I was determined to keep my composure and quietly get some photographic proof and get the hell out of there. Well as I arrived I took a couple of exterior photos of the magnificent building. It was built in 1931 and I was thinking to myself that maybe the lifts are still original....Surely not? I found the way to the ticket center, it said $30 for the express pass which guaranteed fast travel up and down without waiting. The second option was $14 and wait my turn. I felt that to spend $30 to make myself ill would not be prudent, so I decided that I would spend the $14 like any other person and cherish the time ascending and decsending this marvel of the NY skyline.

Well unfortunately the line up was for 1/2 an hour and I had a business meeting, so I prudently went outside, rang Riaz and told him what I almost did, caught a cab up Madison Ave and arrived at my meeting just on time. I was looking forwards to a bit of a scare......I will have to do it another time. Off to colorado in the morning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mate - I'm not one for heights either but sure wud've put that problem to the back just to see ya crawl to the bar mate :-) but MAN DRINK BEER grunt grunt

Mike

Rob Good said...

Beer is ok. JD's is best